Thursday, August 6, 2009

BGs and PvP are back

All battlegrounds are fun imho, but thoroughly enjoying the newest to join the Wrath battlegrounds (Strand of the Ancients & Wintergrasp) - Isle of Conquest.

Isle of Conquest

I love Isle of Conquest. It's fun, fast paced and has a bit of everything and you get to pvp!
  • Capture the flag
  • Defend your keep/leader
  • Take and defend resources
  • Man siege machines
  • Carry bombs to break down gates
  • Flying machines that you jump/parachute into the opponents base
What more could you ask for?


Warsong Gulch

Warsong Gulch has the new 20 minute timer which I'm trying to view in a positive light. I definitely approved the time limit in Warhammer scenarios, so good to see Blizzard adopt this for what can often be a turtle-fest in Warsong Gulch. I like this bg, but having been in ones that have gone on literally for a couple of hours - it can be a huge time sink.

The downside, one quick flag cap and excellent defense/turtle will win. I'm hoping that won't be the case, but it could very well be.

I did one Warsong on a mid 20 hunter. The xp gain was between 500-600xp. I don't remember what quest xp goes for at that level, but for 20 minutes and gaining honor/marks it's full of win for me! It was a typical PUG, good/bad/whiners/complainers - but fun.


Arathi Basin and Eye of the Storm

The lower resource points needed to win from 2000 to 1600 - I'm not sure I get the need for that. Neither of those two bg's are very long, but I did notice in the couple I did yesterday, alot more running to cap and alot less defending. The map constantly changed in AB. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference that makes. I haven't tried EoTS yet. AB xp gain for around 16K on a lower lever 40's player.


Alteric Valley

The only change here - more people likely to queue for the huge xp gains. Playing this at different levels it's a completely different game. The 50's and 60's can be a slog/back and forth more destroy and defend along the way with a split offense/defense. While the 71-80 seems to be constant zerg to kill the leader. I haven't tried AV at level 80, but level 62 DK the xp gain was close to 57k.


Wintergrasp

I'm admittedly still lost in Wintergrasp, so do alot of random running, killing and dying. But then I've only been in a few so far! Supposedly the lag issue has been fixed. That would be great, but I'm not holding my breath - Dalaran, Wintergrasp and the Tournament Grounds are horrific at times.

It's good to have the change of being able to fly over WG as long as you stay up high as I've been unmounted a couple of times not paying attentin flying about.


Battleground XP

I've not read anywhere online how the xp is being calculated, but I'm glad they've added it! The complaints in the lower brackets of the OP twinks dominating will be gone as the majority of twinks will turn the xp off (10g cost) and will only be facing other xp off opponents. I'm hoping this won't kill the twink brackets (I've only made casual twinks, but it's still fun). I'm assuming many twinks will migrate to a few of the more active battlegroups. Hint, hint - it would be great to offer free transfers for them Bliz!

I'm curious to see though if some will 'twink' a toon for world pvp. As they can turn off xp, gear up and have lots of fun! I can see the level 19 twinks ganking the 20-30 level people - I'm sure the GM's will hear lots of complaints. But it may bring back more world pvp on the pvp servers - yeah!

I can definitely see more people that like pvp leveling in battlegrounds. Maybe not at all times, but a nice way to level in addition to dungeon crawls and questing. As an avid lover of pvp, I'm sure I'll spend time in the different level bgs.

No comments:

Post a Comment